There’s a lot to love when you live at The Oaks of Louisiana in the Shreveport-Bossier area.
This can be a great time of life for you, especially when you choose to spend it here at The Oaks. The gentle rolling hills of North Louisiana descend to lush river land near the Red River where everything planted flourishes. The warm sunbelt climate combined with just enough rainfall nourishes our signature live oak trees and the lush gardens throughout our campus . . . and our entire community.
Shreveport and Bossier City, its sister city across the Red River, offer many of big-city amenities in a friendly, easy-to-navigate relaxed Southern environment:
- Metropolitan area of more than 250,000 with symphony, opera and ballet companies, theaters and museums
- Most places are just a 15- to 20-minute drive away with our well-connected highway system
- Fabulous food from Louisiana Cajun and Creole to Soul – from kitschy cafes to fine dining
- Easy drive to mountains in Arkansas or even to Dallas for the few “big city” things you don’t find here
- A day’s drive to reach the beach, but we are far enough north not to be negatively affected by hurricanes
- Gaming community with multiple casinos and thoroughbred racing too
Our temperate climate invites you to enjoy the great outdoors:
- Tennis, golf, lakes and leisure activities convenient to your home at The Oaks
- Festivals throughout the year like Mudbug Madness (celebration of crawfish), Holiday in Dixie (celebrating the Louisiana Purchase) and Red River Revel, the arts festival ranked as a top tourist event in North America
Keep learning with the experts from our universities. Do you have a secret desire to study Shakespeare or Roman history? How about art appreciation or psychology? As a Louisiana citizen age 65 or older you can audit at no charge any class at LSU in Shreveport, which is located nearby. As an added bonus, university professors often visit our campus to deliver mini-courses.
The community’s reputation for healthcare services has made it a regional referral source for sophisticated healthcare. The parent company of The Oaks of Louisiana, Willis-Knighton Health System, has been nationally recognized for quality of care, particularly for heart and cancer diagnosis and treatment. And, one of Willis-Knighton’s hospitals, WK Pierremont Health Center, is just minutes away from The Oaks of Louisiana. While these are great offerings, residents at The Oaks are free to choose any hospital or healthcare provider.
Religion matters in Shreveport-Bossier, helping to craft our values. While The Oaks offers a lovely chapel on campus and services with clergy from various faiths throughout the month, you will also find a broad range of religious opportunities throughout this community. Most major faiths have a presence here, so there is likely to be a congregation ready to greet you as a new member.